Detectives probing the shooting of a Black Lives Matter activist who was shot in the head say there is ‘nothing to suggest’ she was targeted.
Police said that it was believed the woman was shot at a house party and had not been subject to any ‘credible threats against her’ before the ‘shocking’ attack.
Sasha Johnson – a mum-of-three – is said to be in a critical condition after being gunned down in the early hours of Sunday.
Ms Johnson – who previously styled herself as the ‘Black Panther of Oxford’ – has been outspoken on racial issues.
Political party Taking The Initiative announced the news and said in a statement: “It is with great sadness that we inform you that our own Sasha Johnson has sustained a gunshot wound to her head.
“She is currently hospitalised and in a critical condition. The incident happened in the early hours of this morning, following numerous death threats.”
The Met Police have not confirmed the identify of the woman but said they were appealing for witnesses to the ‘shocking incident.’
The violence took place in Peckham in the early hours of Sunday morning. Police were called shortly before 3am after reports of gunshots in Consort Road.
Officers said they attended along with London Ambulance Service paramedics and found a 27-year-old woman who had been shot.
She was taken by ambulance to a south London hospital where she remains in a critical condition. Her family have been informed and are said to be being supported by specialist officers.
Investigators said it was believed that the shooting happened in the area of a house where a party was taking place and that a number of people may have been in the area.
Police said that while the investigation is at an early stage, there is nothing to suggest that the woman who was shot was the subject of a targeted attack or that she had received any credible threats against her prior to this incident.
Detective Chief Inspector Jimi Tele said: “This was a shocking incident that has left a young woman with very serious injuries. Our thoughts are with her family who are being provided with support at this terribly difficult time.
“A dedicated team of detectives is working tirelessly to identify the person or persons responsible for this shooting. They are making good progress but they need the public’s help.
“If you saw anything suspicious in the Consort Road area in the early hours of Sunday morning or if you have heard information since that could help detectives, it is crucial that you get in touch.
“Finally, I recognise that this incident will have shocked those in the local community and further afield. I would ask people to avoid speculating as to the motive or the circumstances behind it.
“If anyone does have information, the most responsible and helpful action is to share it with the police or, to remain anonymous, with Crimestoppers.”
Officers said they are very keen to hear from anyone who was at the party and who has not yet spoken to police.
Anybody with information is asked to call police on 101 or tweet @MetCC providing the reference CAD1172/23MAY.
Information can also be provided to Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.