High blood pressure, especially uncontrolled one, is very serious health issue that usually leads to heart disease and increased risk for getting stroke. On the other hand, it is good to know that by exercising, managing stress and by optimizing dietary intake you can do favor to yourself and lower it.
If someone that is close to you or you suffer by high blood pressure, read and then consider sharing this article.
Hypertension can be easily treated but if you ignore it can cause damage to overall health.
Diet can raise or lower blood pressure
If you practice low in fat and high in grain diet, I am afraid that I have bad news for you. This combination can damage your health and cause hypertension.
In the journal Diabetes in 1998, research was published which revealed that nearly two- thirds of the test subjects who were insulin resistant also had high blood pressure and insulin resistance, especially if it is accompanied by poor exercise is directly attributable to high sugar and high in grain diet.
Often both problems go hand in hand so it means that if you have hypertension changes that you have also poorly controlled blood sugar levels are high. As insulin level elevates, as the blood pressure elevates.
When it comes to insulin, it stores magnesium. So, if the receptors of insulin are blunted, the cells grow resistant to it and magnesium cannot be stored and passes through the body through urination – says Dr. Rosedale.
The magnesium which is stored in the cells, relaxes the muscles. In case you are magnesium deficient, the blood vessels will not be relaxed, they will constrict and it will raise the blood pressure and decrease the energy level.
Also, insulin causes your body to retain sodium. On the other hand, sodium retention causes fluid retention and it causes blood pressure which leads to congestive heart failure.
If hypertension is happening to you as result of out of control blood sugar level then by normalizing your blood sugar levels you will also lower your blood pressure and lead yourself to the healthy level.
Fructose may cause your blood pressure to skyrocket
First, you need to remove all grains and sugars out of your diet, especially fructose until the moment comes when your weight and blood pressure will be normal again. By consuming bread, pasta, corn, potatoes, rice or any kind of sugars and grains you will elevate your blood pressure and insulin levels.
Earlier this year, published study discovered that those people who consumed 74 grams or more daily fructose (about 2, 5 sugary drinks) had 77 percent increased risk of getting blood pressure levels of 160/100 mmHg (normal blood pressure is below 120/ 80 mmHg). Also by consuming 74 or more grams of fructose daily you will increase the risk of 135/ 85 blood pressure reading by 26 percent and 140/90 by 30 percent.
These informations are of importance because one average American consumes 70 grams of fructose every day.
Fructose on the other hand, breaks down into waste products which are bad for human’s body and one of them is uric acid. By inhibiting the nitric oxide in your blood vessels it drives up your blood pressure.
The nitric oxide is helping your vessels to maintain their elasticity and suppression of them increases the blood pressure. It is proven by 17 out of 17 studies that increased uric acid levels lead to hypertension.
My recommendations for fructose allowance
As first I suggest fructose consumption below 25 grams daily. The average 12 ounce can of soda contains 40 grams of sugar and half of it is fructose. If you consume just this can of soda you will exceed your daily recommendation.
Also, I recommend you to limit the amount of fructose that you get from fruit to 15 grams or even less because by this you are consuming so called “hidden” sources of it, corn syrups for example, similar beverages or even processed food.
Two bananas, one- third cup of raisins, two medjool dates represents 15 grams of fructose. Dr. Johnson in his book, “The sugar fix’’ presented the fructose content in different ingredients.
- Normalize your omega 6:3 ratio – Omega 6 and omega 3 fats are must for your health. Most of the Americans usually get too much omega 6 and less omega 3. By consuming omega- 3 for example you will be able to re- sensitize your insulin receptors if you are suffering from insulin resistance. Corn, soy, canola sunflower and sunflower oil consist omega 6 fats and if you consume much of it I suggest limiting or avoiding them.
When it comes to omega 3 fatty acids, they can be found in flaxseed oil, walnut oil and fish – which is the best source for getting them. Find good source of fish for yourself or supplement, high in krill oil which is 48 times more potent than fish oil.
- Caffeine elimination –Not well is understood the connection between caffeine and blood pressure but there are evidences which indicate that if you have hypertension then coffee and other caffeine drinks and foods can exacerbate your current condition. Caffeine is legal drug which is widely consumed and sometimes it has strong effect on individual physiology. In case you want to remove caffeine out of your diet, try and do it gradually over few days and weeks in order to avoid side effects as headaches.
- Consume fermented foods –Gut flora is different from one person to another and it has large effect on whether heart disease will be developed or not. In case your gut flora is not healthy, the risk is larger for getting heart disease or any other chronic health problem. If you consider adding some fermented foods in your diet, you will naturally optimize your gut flora. Sauerkraut, yogurt, kefir and natto for example. They also represent amazing source of vitamin K2 which prevents arterial plaque buildup and heart disease.
Use Exercise as a drug
The side effects that come out of exercises are the ones which you will gladly want to experience. No matter what the reason is its start, the results and efforts are rewarded in many ways.
Peak fitness – comprehensive exercise regimen from me
Peak fitness for example brings many beneficial results to those people who are suffering from high blood pressure. Every program should include anaerobic sprint or burst- type exercises one to three times a week because they are more effective than aerobic exercises and are reducing the risk of heart attack and its fatal consequences.
In case you are insulin resistant include weight training in your program for exercising. Your blood flow will be increased if you work individual muscle groups and the blood flow will increase your sensitivity of insulin.
But, depending on your physical condition and exercise program you should consult yourself with professional because it will be able to help you with increasing the intensity which is required in order to lower your insulin level.
You can combine your exercises with L- arginine – supplement which corrects the abnormal functions of blood vessels present in people with chronic heart failure. But, of course this is drug approach and you should not consider using it as necessary needed supplement for optimizing your health. L- arginine interacts with nitric oxide. It is not replacement but adjunct for coenzyme Q10, well proven therapy for heart failure.
Vitamin D levels
Blood pressure is typically higher in winter months than in summer. Wonder why? And why they say as farther you will from the Equator you are at higher risk of getting high blood pressure? Well, all this is said because sunlight affects blood pressure in several ways.
- If you expose yourself to sun your body will produce vitamin D. If you experience lack of sun the stored vitamin D will increase parathyroid hormone production which leads to increased blood pressure.
- Insulin resistance and Syndrome X or known as Metabolic Syndrome is linked with vitamin D deficiency. These are all health problems which are including insulin resistance, elevated cholesterol and triglycerides levels, obesity and high blood pressure.
- Body’s renin- angiotensin system regulates blood pressure and vitamin D is negative inhibitor of it. In case you are vitamin D deficient, inappropriate activation of it will happen and will lead to hypertension
- It is also good to know that, UV rays exposure cause release of endorphins – chemicals in brain that produce feelings of euphoria and pain relief. Endorphins relieve stress which automatically makes it important factor for resolving hypertension.
Your health basically requires appropriate amounts of sunlight for proper blood pressure normalization. Vitamin D is the one which helps to system and organs through body in order to function better and properly.
You can get it through safe exposure to sun or by vitamin D3 supplements. But, do not let your doctor do the prescription. The vitamin D which he will prescribe to you is vitamin D2 which is synthetic and not quite beneficial as the natural vitamin D.
In case you choose the supplement option be careful, monitor your vitamin D blood levels and avoid overdosing. This is the reason why it is preferable to get your vitamin D through sun exposure.
Control your stress levels as much as you can
High blood pressure or hypertension is present in one in three American adults and they all are fighting emotional and mental stress battle day by day.
And yes, these two conditions are connected. Wonder how?
This connection is undeniable between hypertension and stress reported by ABC World News and according to one cardiologist. There is one developed stress- relieving technique by Dr. Kennedy which is called “The 15 Minute Heart Cure” which is set of creative visualization techniques that can be done anywhere and anytime.
By teaching the body to slow down and relax when the stress hits and by shorting the physical stress reaction the health of your heart can be protected.
Easy to learn and easy to use technique is the one called Emotional Freedom Technique which is combination of calm and relaxed breathing while the emotional patterns are getting reprogrammed.
Other alternatives and supplements
The real cause of this problem are the basic lifestyle choices, you must remember that. Certain supplements can be of a help but they can never be used as substitute. The supplements are not very different than drugs.
They can modify your lifestyle and it is not likely that they will be much effective. Do beneficial changes in your lifestyle for further improvement of your health.
- Calcium and magnesium – When it comes to calcium and magnesium supplementation, they both can be useful in lowering blood pressure especially in cases where it is high. Also if you avoid sugars and grains, additional calcium or magnesium is highly required.
- Vitamins C and E – These both vitamins are also very important for lowering blood sugar. Right amount of them can be reached by diet and in case you need supplement always choose the natural not synthetic form of vitamin E. Read the label carefully before buying. For example natural vitamin E is listed as d- form, d- alpha- tocopherol, d- beta- tocopherol and the synthetic form is listed as dl – form.
- Olive leaf extract – For eight weeks, in one study from 2008, 1000 mg of olive leaf extract caused important dip of blood pressure and LDL cholesterol in people with borderline hypertension. If you want to add it to your nutritional diet you should try and find fresh leaf liquid extracts. Also, you can prepare your own leaf tea by adding one large teaspoon of dried olive leaves in a tea ball or herb sack. Add it to about two quarts of boiling water and leave it for three to ten minutes. The tea should be in medium amber color when it is done.
- Electrical acupuncture – Blood pressure in animals by as much as 50 % was lowered by acupuncture combined with electrical stimulation temporarily. Currently human testing is provided which are presented as promising alternative treatment for controlling blood pressure.
- Breastfeeding – Babies which were breastfed for more than 12 months have lower risk of developing hypertension. Also, long- chain polyunsaturated fatty acids which are also found in fatty fish in breast milk provide protective effect on newborn babies according to few studies.
- Quick tricks – By increasing the nitric monoxide in your blood you will open your constricted blood vessels and you will lower your blood pressure. Methods like warm bath, inhale and exhale through one nostril, consumption of bitter melon rich in amino acids and vitamin C are few of them.
Same as obesity, high blood pressure is epidemic and also same as obesity best treatment against it is proper changes in your lifestyle.
Remember, natural alternatives are far better for preventing any kind of disease and for healing.
If you suffer from high blood pressure consider doing changes in your lifestyle in order to normalize your insulin levels.
The post Discover The Secret To Lowering Your Blood Pressure In 15 Minutes appeared first on Health Beckon.